The Multiplier is the Project Twin Phoenix newsletter, which aims to share information and multiply knowledge on climate change adaptation and disaster risk reduction.
The project is being implemented by the Climate Change Commision with support from the Australian Aid and UNDP.
Highlights of Issue 1
- Climate-adjusted flood hazard maps were produced for the cities of Cagayan de Oro and Iligan, which were developed from a series of measurements, characterization, and watershed analysis of the cities' four major river systems;
- In 2013, Iligan City with assistance from Climate Change Commission formulated its flood contingency plan, and integrated into the city's recovery program post-Sendong the impacts of climate change;
- To emphasize the importance of the use of climate information in adaptation planning process, the Climate Change Commission partnered with the National Economic Development Authority - Region 10 to replicate the Climate Change and Disaster Risk Information System for Planning in the region;
- The Project Twin Phoenix is putting together a climate exposure database for Cagayan de Oro and Iligan cities, which will help determine their vulnerability in terms of exposure and sensitivity to flood;
- The project conducted a case study to mainstream climate change adaptation into land use and development planning;
- A total of 206 barangay officials, municipal planners, and public school teachers from the municipalities of Cateel, Boston and Baganga were trained on how to appreciate and use the geohazard maps to identify the critical areas, which are susceptible to landslide, flood and coastal geohazards.